416.537.3128

Pet Safety During the Holidays

Holiday Plants to Avoid If You Have Pets

  • Poinsettia plants contain a milky sap that may cause vomiting and diarrhea
  • Mistletoe is quite toxic and should be avoided around pets and small children.
  • Holly leaves, and berries are toxic. They can cause gastrointestinal upsets and depression of the central nervous system. The sharp leaves can also damage the soft tissue in the mouth.
  • Pine needles can cause damage and/or irritation to the mouth
  • Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors

Tips for Keeping Your Pet Safe Around the Christmas Tree

  • Kitties love to climb! Make sure your tree is well secured at the base.
  • Unplug tree lights to prevent electrocution and/or mouth burns unless you are in the room to supervise
  • Avoid the use of icicles and tinsel and other stringy items that cats might ingest. These may cause intestinal blockage.
  • If your dog loves toys, skip decorations that may resemble a toy which may tempt them to jump on the tree
  • Skip the use of toxic spray-on snow

Food Dangers for Pets over the Holidays
We all love to feed our pets treats, but there are many holiday foods that can be toxic. Some may cause gastrointestinal distress and some as outright poisonous. Please keep the following safely tucked out of reach for pets:

  • Chocolate
  • Candy especially those in wrappers as pets will consume them whole
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Grapes, raisins, onions and garlic
  • Fatty foods and bones

Written by: Annex Animal Hospital

Category:

Blog

Diabetes Mellitus in Cats

What is Diabetes Mellitus

Read More
See All Articles