Our team continues to be here for you and your cherished pets. We are OPEN and are now able to provide a wide range of services. To learn more about the changes we have implemented in response to COVID-19 and what to expect during your next visit, click here.

Chocolate Toxicity in Pets

Happy Valentine’s Day!

We wanted to send you a friendly reminder to enjoy your chocolates but keep them safely stored away from your pets. Here is some helpful information to keep your pets healthy while you celebrate.

Chocolate is toxic to both cats and dogs, and while rarely fatal can cause serious illness. When it comes to chocolate, the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for your pet. Just remember that gourmet dark chocolates are more dangerous than milk chocolate. That is because the darker the chocolate, the more chemical toxin, theobromine it contains. White chocolate has very little theobromine and will not cause chocolate poisoning in pets, as reported by Pet Poison Helpline.

As the amount of chemical toxin, Theobromine, varies with the type of chocolate, the amount a dog or cat must ingest to suffer from chocolate toxicity varies. Very young and senior animals or any animal with an underlying health condition are more at risk for chocolate poisoning than healthy adult animals. It is also important to note that chocolate contains a large amount of fat and some pets can develop pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

Signs of chocolate toxicity depend on the amount and type of chocolate that was ingested by your pet. Clinical signs can also take several hours to develop and last several days after ingestion. Signs of chocolate toxicity due to ingestion of a small amount of chocolate includes vomiting and diarrhea. If your pet ingests a large amount of chocolate, signs of toxicity can include agitation, elevated heart rate, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures and collapse.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate, it is important to seek immediate veterinary care or contact the Pet Poison Helpline to confirm if a poisonous amount of chocolate was ingested. If this is the case, your pet will require immediate veterinary care because the sooner the toxic chemical Theobromine is removed from the body, and your pet is stabilized, the better your pet’s prognosis will be.

If you have any questions, give us a call at (416) 537-3128 or contact the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. Keep your chocolate treats safely tucked away and enjoy the celebrations!

Written by: Annex Animal Hospital

Category:

Blog

Your Pet Gazette - Spring Issue

Tick Prevention Recommended Tick prevention remains a priority for our pets this spring: As the temperatures rise above 4 degrees, ticks become active and quest for food.  Toronto Parks, woodland trails, grassy regions, and leaf piles all have the potential to contain ticks just waiting to hitch a ride on pets and humans.  As we are already seeing pets with ticks this spring, our veterinarians feel that it is important to maintain vigilance by using tick protection on our pets.

Read More
See All Articles

Last updated: June 5, 2020

Dear Clients,

With recent changes to restrictions on businesses, we are pleased to advise that effective May 19, 2020 the restrictions on veterinary practices have been lifted. Based on these changes, below are some important updates to our operating policies.

1. WE CAN NOW SEE ALL CASES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

This includes vaccines, wellness exams, blood work, heartworm testing, spays and neuters, dental services, and more!

2. SAFETY MEASURES TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE

3. ONLINE CONSULTATIONS ARE AVAILABLE

If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.

4. OPERATING HOURS

We are still OPEN with the following hours:
MONDAY: 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
TUESDAY - FRIDAY: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
SATURDAY: 8:30 am - 2:00 pm

Thank you for your patience and understanding and we look forward to seeing you and your furry family members again!

- Your dedicated team at Annex Animal Hospital